Applying for the student visa
Applying for the student visa
The student visa process is not easy, nor simple. It must be well prepared. Once you get the admission, and at least two months before your intended departure prepare for the student visa:
1. Gather the required documents
2. Meet the program officer for an interview
3. Submit your application, go for the biometrics & pay for your visa at the visa section
1. What are the required documents to apply for the student visa?
- International Passport/ Original + 2 photocopies
The International passport must of course be valid for all the period of trip to France.
- Birth certificate/ Original + 2 photocopies
If you don’t have a birth certificate, you can submit an affidavit.
- 2 recent ID passport-size photographs/ Colour, clear background
The photographs will be joined to the visa application form.
- Visa application form
You will get the form from the visa section.
- WAEC & university certificates and transcripts / Original + 2 photocopies
The transcripts are very important. Get them !
- Letter of admission from the French institution/ Original + 2 photocopies
With no admission in a school, you can not apply for a student visa.
- Certificate of accommodation / Original + 2 photocopies
The certificate of accommodation is compulsory.
No Hotel reservation is accepted.
The accommodation certificate must mention :
a. your name
b. the address of the accommodation
c. the dates covering the duration of your course.
If an individual is offering you accommodation, submit:
a. a letter of invitation (from the individual)
b. a proof of accommodation (electricity, water, gas bill etc.)
c. a copy of his ID (International passport or national ID)
- Attestation of sponsorship and a letter explaining the link with him (family link must be attested with births certificates) / Original + 2 photocopies
If you are sponsoring yourself, you do not need this document.
- 2 photocopies of the International passport of the sponsor
If not the International Passport, the national ID card. No other IDs are accepted.
- All proofs of yours or the sponsor’s financial status : bank statement (Last 3 months) , salary , act of property etc… / Originals + 2 photocopies
- Travel Insurance (3 Months)/ Original + 2 photocopies
Main travel insurance providers are: AIICO, Evasan, InsurVisa, Gtassur, Unichealth, Unitrust.
- Plane ticket (Reservation) / Original + 2 photocopies
Just a booking is required. DON’T PAY the ticket until you have the visa.
- Money for the visa fees (about 20.000 for long stay visa )
The money will be paid at the visa section.
2. What is the preliminary interview all about?
The aim of the interview is to assess the educational project of the candidate and to pre-check his file. All other aspects of your file will be assessed by the visa section that will make the final decision of giving (or not) the visa. You can run the preliminary interview only at the “Institut Français du Nigeria”, Abuja French Institute in Abuja with the program officer.
3. What do I do after the preliminary interview?
After your interview, and if (and only if) your entire file is complete, you can submit it at the visa section in Lagos or Abuja. From the moment you submit your file, it takes the visa section approximately 10 working days to process your visa.
For further information, kindly contact the program officer:
0816 8963 863